Sign in to follow this  
Tater Pie

Should we allow guests to lurk on the forums?

Should we allow guests to lurk on the forums?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should we allow guests to lurk on the forums?

• No, make everyone sign in to view the forums
    • Yes, let anyone lurk on the forums

I would suggest that we put some stuff in place to deal with the bots, as I'd see that as a major issue with allowing guests, and I'd also say that it's like a trial. You get say 10 thread views in an hour. If people like the content, they'll sign up. Otherwise they'll be served extra ads up the ass and have to deal with that limit

• Like 1

I think it will be good allowing guest to lurk, just not have access to links, for example downloads for any releases. I believe it is good because I feel like it gives people incentive to actually join the community. Speaking for myself at least, if I have to make an account to view a forums I usually don't even bother and never return to that site.

When being able to lurk, people can get a feel of the community and it will keep people coming here which is what we want (traffic). The more they lurk (which is good because that means they are constantly visiting the site) the more the odds of them actually registering account increases. Although it could slow down the site remember; it is GOOD traffic, which is what we want. There will always be bot's and we can take care of that as they come. By limiting what guest's are allow to see just because we may get more bots doesn't accommodate to the new guests. People like to see things before they invest their time into them.

TLDR: Yes, allow lurk with no links available (only shown to registered users). This keeps people coming over and over again = increases chances of registration.

3 hours ago, AzureCrux said:

I would suggest that we put some stuff in place to deal with the bots, as I'd see that as a major issue with allowing guests, and I'd also say that it's like a trial. You get say 10 thread views in an hour. If people like the content, they'll sign up. Otherwise they'll be served extra ads up the ass and have to deal with that limit

I also like this suggestion as well. Ten thread view's an hour is a substantial amount of content. Also like more ad's for guests and with registration ad's are decreased.  @Tater Pie

• Like 2